California Balboa Classic 2020
January 17–20, Newport Beach, California
Balboa was born at the Rendezvous Ballroom, about a mile from our venue—the beautiful Hyatt Regency Newport Beach. For CalBal2020, we’ve got the best floors, music, instructors, contests, and social dancing we can assemble. There’s no experience like dancing at CalBal.
Changes for CalBal2020
We learned a lot at CalBal2019 and we’re making a number of changes to improve your experience at CalBal2020:
- Limited attendance: At CalBal2019 we had over 900 attendees. For CalBal2020, we are limiting attendance to 850. We expect this will give everyone more room in classes and in the main ballroom. This also means fewer passes will be available.
- Rearranging the ballroom: The major feedback we received from last year was that some people had difficulty seeing the band and the contests. For 2020, we will move the bandstand onto the long wall of the ballroom to afford greater visibility. Our sound engineers will ensure the new arrangement delivers great sound to all corners of the ballroom.
- New floor: Although the floors at CalBal2019 were great all weekend (thanks in large part to great air-conditioning), 900 dancers had their effect, causing the floors to drift. We have a new flooring contractor bringing over 10,000 sq ft. of high quality Baltic birch plywood floors for your enjoyment and a crew of floor managers dedicated to keeping the floor in great condition all weekend long.
Returning for CalBal2020
- Incredible music: It wouldn’t be CalBal without the musical leadership of Jonathan Stout. As a Southern California Swing dancer himself, Jonathan knows how to play for CalBal and in 2020 he will lead his Orchestra on Friday and Saturday nights and his Grand Slam Sextet on Sunday. Once again, we’re hiring all-star musicians from around the country to bring you three nights of the best live Swing music anywhere. We’re also arranging an all-star lineup of DJs to keep you dancing until the sun comes up.
- Mind-blowing contests and amazing instructors: We strive for the contests and instruction at CalBal to be unrivaled. We only have seven contests, but they set the room on fire. Likewise, our instructor lineup represents the most rigorous, innovative, and fun Balboa instructors in the world!
- Inspirational social dancing: There’s nothing quite like dancing in Southern California. This is where Balboa was born and the tradition of Balboa and SoCal Swing live on here. Above all, CalBal is dedicated to creating the most welcoming atmosphere possible for folks who want to feel the history of SoCal. That means great music, fast floors, good air conditioning, and fellow dancers who love it just as much as you.
CalBal2020 Weekend Overview
All schedule details subject to change.
Thursday, January 16
|7:00pm–10:00pm||Early Check-In||Hyatt Hotel Lobby|
|8:30pm–12:00am||Pre-Weekend Dance at Lindy Groove (not included in weekend pass). Lindy Groove shuttle add-on available during registration.||Pasadena Masonic Temple|
Friday, January 17
|9:00am–10:00pm||Check In & Registration||Hyatt Hotel Plaza Arbor|
|12:30pm–3:30pm||Balboa and Swing Elective Workshops||Hyatt Regency Plaza Ballroom|
|4:00pm—7:00pm||Competitor’s Meeting and Prelims||Hyatt Regency Terrace Ballroom|
|8:00pm—12:00am||Evening Dance with Live Music from the Jonathan Stout Orchestra & Contest Finals||Hyatt Regency Plaza Ballroom|
|12:00am—1:00am||Cocktail Hour||Hyatt Regency Lobby & Garden|
|12:00am—5:00am||Late Night Dance||Hyatt Regency Plaza Ballroom|
Saturday, January 18
|9:45am–5:00pm||Level Check & Daytime Workshops||Hyatt Regency Workshop Classrooms|
|5:00pm–7:00pm||Competitor’s Meeting and Prelims||Hyatt Regency Plaza Ballroom|
|8:00pm–12:00am||Evening Dance with Live Music with The Jonathan Stout Orchestra & Contest Finals||Hyatt Regency Plaza Ballroom|
|12:00am–1:00am||Cocktail Hour||Hyatt Regency Lobby & Garden|
|12:00am–5:00am||Late Night Dance||Hyatt Regency Plaza Ballroom|
Sunday, January 19
|9:45am–5:00pm||Daytime workshops||Hyatt Regency Workshop Classrooms|
|8:00pm–12:00am||Evening Dance with Live Music from the Grand Slam Sextet & Invitational Contest||Hyatt Regency Plaza Ballroom|
|12:00am–5:00am||Late night dance||Hyatt Regency Plaza Ballroom|
Monday, January 20
|2:00pm–Sunset||Balboa Beach Dance||Balboa Pier, Balboa Peninsula|